Linux questions

karmgord 16:47 23 Jan 2011

My laptop is set to dual boot Xp pro & the recovery console.It has two NTFS partions C & D where D is empty.
My questions are can I install Linux on the D partion,will it keep and run on NTFS or will it repartition & reformat differently?
I want to be able to see and transfer files of both OSs on the D drive.
Finally will there be three boot options,
1.XP Pro
2.Recovery console
3.Linux?

karmgord 17:27 23 Jan 2011

BTW it is the latest version of ubuntu

Jollyjohn 17:35 23 Jan 2011

Linux needs its own partition and uses its own file system (ext4) Linux also need a swap partition - usually set as twice the size of the amount of RAM in the PC.
Linux is very good at Dual booting - grub - will sort this out. I am not sure how you boot your recovery partition, does it come up on a menu or is it via a particular key on boot up?
If it is on a menu then you can add it to the grub boot list at a later date.
Partitioning your hard drive. You can only have four Primary partitions so you will need to partition your hard drive as follows
Primary partition - recovery partition
Primary partition Existing C drive
Primary partition Linux
primary partition - Extended - within this extended partition you need to create your swap partition and an NTFS partition. The ntfs partition will be visible from both Windows and Linux.

woodchip 18:24 23 Jan 2011

Try before you choose from the List, Create a bootable ISO CD turn on any Printers or Hardware you may want to run before Booting with the CD click here

LastChip 01:34 24 Jan 2011

First, the D: partition.

You can tell Linux to install on D:, but it *may* not work very well if you insist on NTFS as a file structure. Although Linux now recognises NTFS (in spite of Microsofts best efforts to avoid it), it's still very much at a beta stage and I wouldn't want to rely on it. You'd be far better to install it on ext3 or ext4.

Second, you want to see files on both drives. No problem. An application called SAMBA will allow you to see both drives in both Windows and Linux. Each operating system effectively becomes a file server in its own right. So if you want to view Linux files in Windows, SAMBA serves those files seamlessly; and visa versa.

Linux is very good at multi-booting, but as always, make sure you have backed up any important data, as even the best systems can occasionally throw a wobbly!

Whether you need a swap file or not is open to discussion and depends upon how much memory you have in your laptop. It also depends on which distribution you are planning to install.As a general rule with Ubuntu, if you have 2.0GB or more, it's not necessary. Linux is far more frugal with resources than Windows. However, the latest release of Ubuntu requires a minimum of 1GB to run efficiently. click here and see if your laptop meets those requirements. If not, there are other distributions that will run on far less.

dms_05 08:58 24 Jan 2011

The answer is 'yes' to using 'D' but 'no' to using NTFS. But don't worry, if you chose to install on 'D' then Ubuntu will reformat the space it is assigned using a compatible FS like ext3. If you decide to revert to Windows only you would simply reformat the 'D' space to NTFS.

You do have another alternative to use a program included with Ubunti called wubi click here_(Ubuntu_installer). It's on the Ubuntu Live CD you can make by downloading the Ubuntu iso image. This allows you to run Ubuntu from within Windows and doesn't need any reformatting on your part. It's a tiny bit slower than a full installation but allows you to try with minimum disruption. Simply chose the 'Install within Windows' option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?