Linux problem

007al 23:38 07 Dec 2005

I`ve installed a copy of SUSE 10 and having problems getting it to boot.It took an age to install,with all the updates.Well,the problem seems to be something to do with graphics error.
I cant find the peice of paper with the exact error message (doh!)so i`ll have to boot from the drive with SUSE on in a minute to get it.
If anyone knows of a recurring problem with installation,could you let me know,as its taken ages to install and i was looking forward to trying something new!
I have an sli system,could this be the problem?

Mytob 00:46 08 Dec 2005

yer iv had that prob to since 9.2! dont install the patches in yast when it asks you if you want to check for updates. It seems to mess things up for me to. Install the patches after by going to the yast control panel after booting. I dont know why it happens but well hope novell will sort it out soon!

007al 00:51 08 Dec 2005

Thanks for that.
So,i have to reinstall again then?
I`ve installed it 3 times tonight,had enough now,i`ll do it when i get in from work tomorrow.
so,you dont recomend any updates until after everything is working ok?
is sli a problem do you know?

Mytob 01:05 08 Dec 2005

as far as im aware sli should not be a problem. Suse is a very good and stable linux os to use and with the opensuse prodject coming about i would have thought that things like that should have been resolved by the community in the alpas and betas. I would not bother installing any updates befor first booting into suse for the first time and getting a kde or gnome desktop depending on which one you dicided to use. There will be lots of patchs available for the os but bear in ming 99% are for the bundled open source programs and not the core suse operating system. As for the update prob thats wot i had when i first installed suse 9.2 and I tryed it a few times with updates and the screen and controls on kde would not work properly but after reinstalling without installing the patches at the end of the install it worked like a treat and booted up first time for me. Have a go and if you have any more probs try one of the linux forums on the net as they will be able to help you with the more techincal probs as they are dedicated to linux.

007al 08:07 08 Dec 2005

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires