LINUX OS TO COMPLETELY REPLACE WINDOWS XP

ARTY DAN 09:47 24 Feb 2007

ITS BEEN DIFFICULT TO GET ADVICE ON LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS THERE ARE SO MANY, I HAVE POSTED THIS QUESTION TO A LINUX USER GROUP AND TO A LINUX FORUM ADMINISTRATOR BUT HAD NO REPLY TO DATE. ITS VERY CONFUSING FOR A NOVICE LIKE ME. I'M TRYING TO FIND A LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM FOR MY NEPHEW HE HAS WINDOWS XP ON HIS COMPUTER HE WANTS TO COMPLETELY REPLACE HIS CURRENT OPERATING SYSTEM. HE ONLY WANTS TO RUN LINUX ON HIS P.C. HE HAS NEVER USED LINUX BEFORE AND I HAVE NEVER INSTALLED IT. COULD ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME OF A LINUX DISTRIBUTION THAT IS SIMILAR TO WINDOWS XP THAT WILL BE EASY TO USE FOR MY NEPHEW TO USE AND FOR ME TO INSTALL. IT WILL NEED TO BE STORED ON THE HARD DRIVE. ALSO IT WILL NEED TO RECOGNISE THE HARDWARE ON THE COMPUTER AND I WAS WONDERING WOULD IT BE COMPATIBLE WITH PROGRAMS SUCH AS MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007. I TUNES IS IT COMPATIBLE WITH MOST OR ALL PROGRAMS AND APPLICATIONS?
MY NEPHEW DOESN'T WANT TO RUN IT ALONG SIDE WINDOWS HE ONLY WANTS TO RUN LINUX.
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP ON THIS, THANK YOU.

ARTY DAN

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:56 24 Feb 2007

it's normally considered to be shouting if you type in upper case, and may be part of the reason you've not had much response from some Forums.
If you click here you will be linked to the distribution Company for Ubuntu which is a well supported version of Linux. If you choose ver 6.06 Dapper Drake it will be free (no P&P either) You can run it from the disk to try it out or install. Bear in mind it will be much slower running from the CD. The install is pretty much like Windows and if your PC is reasonably new it should recognise most if not all of the hardware. You just sit back and let it run.

Pamy 09:58 24 Feb 2007

read this click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:04 24 Feb 2007

If he wants to run Office 2007 and run the OS like XP...why not stick with X? Or am I missing the blindingly obvious here?

G

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:06 24 Feb 2007

Ubuntu ships with Open Office which is an open source equivalent to MS office. It contains word processing, spreadsheet and database plus some other stuff. This is compatable with MS file types (.doc.xls etc) and is a very good free solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?