linux for an old xp pc

howard64 12:19 07 Jun 2014
Answered

having replaced a pc for a friend and been left with his old one I am considering putting a version of Linux on it. I tried to install Luna Linux but it says the processor is not able to run this version. Is there a simple Linux version that will run on an old pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:24 07 Jun 2014

what processor?

I'm running Mint 16 (Cinnamon) on a P4

howard64 12:31 07 Jun 2014

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ it is an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with 756MB ram 160GB hdd

LastChip 12:44 07 Jun 2014

If it's really old, try Puppy Linux - that'll run on practically anything.

See here

SparkyJack 13:15 07 Jun 2014

I have an acient Toshibe Portage.

It has 'Crunch Bang' a very basic distro. it ggggdoes not even have a conventional GUI.,,,

Instead a right click will deliver a drop down with all the usual preloaded Apps.

howard64 21:47 07 Jun 2014

thanks all it will load pup but only into ram - I want to be able to load onto the hdd and dual boot. Any suggestions?

QuizMan 22:43 07 Jun 2014

I think Lubuntu 12.04 may meet your requirements. I installed it on a very basic, ageing Dell Latitude laptop that was previously running XP and it works OK. That is not dual boot, but there is no reason that you couldn't do so.

I remember Googling a YouTube video installation demo. I cannot find it right now but there seem to be plenty of options for you to choose from if you want to swot up.

LastChip 23:40 07 Jun 2014

If you want to install Puppy Linux, boot from the CD and go to Set-up.

The instructions are here.

SparkyJack 11:54 08 Jun 2014

As all LIinux distro run from live CD or direct from ISO- download and try as many as you have inclination for.

Ubuntu is certainly 'Windoze' like with a conventional GUI, indeed Win8 is considered to be a 'knock off' in many respects with its right side search/power/shutdown arrangement.

A good forum for advice on the subject is Linux Questions, run on similar lines to this one.

LastChip 13:13 08 Jun 2014

SparkyJack, you are right. Windows 8 is a complete rip off of Ubuntu in many respects, just as Apple has just ripped off the Ubuntu Unity interface and claimed it as it's own.

Either of them can hardly cry fowl of Linux claiming intellectual property infringements, when they copy from others with impunity. It's not that they've done anything wrong, as Linux (in the main) is open source and usually licensed so others may do just that. But to claim it as your own without giving any credit to the original developers is sick.

It does however prove just how far ahead Linux is, when the major players have to copy stuff from open source.

Where I would differ from you is, I don't think Ubuntu is Windows like - at least if you're comparing it to XP (or even Windows 7). Anyone looking for an XP lookalike should gravitate to Linux Mint in my view, where the learning curve is minimal and the interface instantly recognisable.

howard64 13:30 08 Jun 2014

thanks all lots to try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017