Linux Mint 10 won't detect wifi hub but Win 7 will

robzwolf 10:11 27 Feb 2011

I recently installed Linux Mint 10 (Julia). I am very pleased with it but I'm still finding my way around it. Having found the network options, it seems unable to find my BTHomeHub2, although Windows 7 finds it perfectly well with 5 bars.
Interestingly, the network icon in Linux only shows VPN connections and Wired connections, no wireless section. My computer is a Medion Akoya E4120 D with a Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter. The wireless adapter is inside the PC, attached to an internal USB port I'm guessing.

So all in all, how do I get my wireless internet to work with Linux Mint 10?

dms_05 12:58 03 Mar 2011

You are using a mini-pci card adaptor - they are standard fittings on laptops and netbooks.

The most likely reason for your problem is the Realtek WiFi isn't supported by Mint. However it may simply be you haven't added a WiFi Connection and if so you should right click the network icon in the task bar and from the drop down menu select Edit and from there Add a WiFi connection.

I have used Mint in the past and it does normally support WiFi but you do need to set it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?