linux mandrake help

kolly 19:24 23 Aug 2003

I have just burnt the three ISO files for Mandrake 91 in this month's cover DVD Rom and when I come to boot from the CD I get invalid disc report. Does anyone know what's wrong.

Thanks
Keith

hugh-265156 19:30 23 Aug 2003

did you just copy the iso`s to disc?you need to make it bootable by creating an image on the disc.using nero or similar select CDROM(iso) disc.

Eastender 19:39 23 Aug 2003

Get it from the horse's mouth click here

kolly 19:43 23 Aug 2003

yes I selected CD ISO no multission ISO level 1 mode 1 but still wont boot yet if I put SuSE linux start disc in no probs it boots straightaway

Eastender 19:44 23 Aug 2003

Should have said, making a boot floppy is on page 5.

hugh-265156 19:54 23 Aug 2003

you dont need a boot floppy for mandrake,it should boot from cd if the cd drive set as first boot device in the bios.

are you using the correct disc to boot from?

my mandrake discs which i downloaded will boot from discs one and two not disc three and will inform you to insert disc one if disc 2 is inserted.

kolly 19:54 23 Aug 2003

EASTENDER
used boot flopy but same invalid disc mesage

powerless 20:08 23 Aug 2003

Copy the images of the DVD onto your hard drive.

Open up Nero and go to, file, Burn image. Locate the iso file on your hard drive...

Burn the CD. Burn to CD-R and not CD-RW

There should be no problems with the CD as the iso's are of the hard drive (from the DVD).

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS and select the first BOOT device as the CD drive where you have placed the CD into the.

Restart and you should be able to boot from the CD.

The message you are recieving is to do with that the BIOS cannot find anything that is bootbale. Either you have a duff CD or you have selcted the boot device wrongly in the BIOS.

Do not select the multiseesion. ypu must selct from the file meuu > BURN IMAGE.

As you have tried the boot disk are you sure you are slecting the correct boot device and are saving the changes you have made?

woodchip 22:09 23 Aug 2003

This is what I did with RedHat9 from a DVD cover disc. Download Undisker click here create a folder on your drive under C:\ i just called mine B use Undisker to extract the first disc image to the folder and look in the folder to see if you can see autoboot file if you can copy all the .iso Images to the same folder. you then need to go into DOS with a Boot Floppy disc a Win98 should get you there click here Follow the instructions bellow I have to mis line as you will not understand the instructions.

Start comp with floppy disc and leave it till it gets to A:\>

Next type C: press enter

type CD B the CD is for change directory

this part I cannot just give instructions without knowing what folder autoboot is in.

So if it's in say dosutils folder.

you would type next CD dosutils then when its changed you just type autoboot and press enter and it will start to load Mandrake

woodchip 22:10 23 Aug 2003

PS you need free space on your hard drive, Not a partition

hugh-265156 01:41 24 Aug 2003

souds like a corrupt iso to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?