Linux login glitch

coinneach 19:01 25 Jan 2009

Recently installed Mandriva Linux 2009 Free edition (64-bit) from DVD. Have been frustrated in being able to use it because my many attempts at logging-in are rejected as invalid.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this ailment, please? I say 'ailment' because I've had similar problems with Linux forum sites as well, although I personally have confidence in my login data.

coinneach

LastChip 21:33 25 Jan 2009

Linux is case sensitive and by far the most common fault is not typing precisely what you set when installing the system.

Another common fault is, you had the "Caps Lock" on when typing your password, so try it like that as well; just in case!

scotty 12:22 26 Jan 2009

The other thing which has caught me out is the Num Lock key. If your passwork includes numeric values and you use the numeric key pad then NumLock must be on.

coinneach 16:45 26 Jan 2009

Many thanks for your contributions, LastChip and scotty.
Unfortunately, these suggestions were tried before I posted the problem. I fear that something might have got corrupted during the installation and that the only solution might be a reinstall. However, I didn't fancy that fag again and was hoping that someone might be able to wave the magic wand!

coinneach

coinneach 17:30 27 Jan 2009

The objective has now changed. I got so frustrated trying to solve this problem (none of the tips I picked up from the web worked for me) that I decided to reinstall linux from the dvd. Now I can't even get as far as the login! (I hopefully changed my login details in the setup process, but to no avail).

There's more to life than linux, I'm sure. Are there any offers of a straightforward(!!) uninstall of my Mandriva distribution? I want to get back to some sort of normality.

coinneach

scotty 20:44 27 Jan 2009

Startup from your linux dvd and run linux in "live" mode i.e. directly from the DVD. Spart the program GParted and use this to remove all linux partitions (probably root and swap). After that you can either expand youe Windows partition to make use of the available space or you can try again with linux.

I have tried a few distributions but find Ubuntu easiest. Installation is not a chore as twenty minutes after entering the few details required, I have a system that is usable and only needs a few tweaks to get codecs etc added.

LastChip 22:56 27 Jan 2009

As scotty says, linux s no longer (generally) a problem to install.

I wonder if there's something else causing this problem. For example, if you're installing from a burnt CD, has the burn become corrupted and hence giving you problems.

click here for a wiki page I wrote a while back that refers to PCLinuxOS, but could equally apply to any other modern Linux distro. It really should be as easy as this.

The only distro I've had a problem with in recent times was Kubuntu, which seemed to be a little more intolerant than others of hardware. In fact, I'm in the middle of doing a repair on a Windows machine and am having no end of problems with the installation, cursing it and wondering why people put up with all the rubbish and reboots you have to do.

Linux really should be a half hour install; maximum!

coinneach 21:31 28 Jan 2009

I'm not acquainted with GParted, but I've no problems with removing linux. I've done it on 2 different PCs in the last 3 years. The difficulty is getting rid of the bootloader so that I can return in peace to WinXP! The tips I've so far picked up on the internet look easy enough, but they simply don't seem to work for me.

I wouldn't be averse to leaving the bootloader on these machines if I were able to change the default, but this usually means going to the 'configure your computer' option within linux.

coinneach

scotty 09:12 29 Jan 2009

Do you have an XP installation CD? The following instructions should remove GRUB:

1. Insert Windows 2000/XP Setup or Installation CD

2. Restart your computer

3. If you see this message, “Press any key to boot from CD…” press a key to start the computer from Windows CD.

4. After a few minutes, you’ll see Windows Setup Menu. Press “R” key to start repair Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.

5. Microsoft Recovery Console will start.

6. If you’re prompted to enter a number related to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. Most likely “1? if any.

7. Enter your Administrator password, if you’re asked.

8. At the Recovery Console Command Prompt, type “fixmbr” and verify that you want to proceed.

9. Remove Windows 2000/XP Setup CD from CDROM.

10. Type “exit” to restart your computer.

If you still have same problem, repeat the steps above but type “fixboot” instead of “fixmbr” command.

coinneach 19:02 29 Jan 2009

Thanks scotty. Unfortunately, my OEM CD is a Recovery CD. This doesn't have the R option.

skidzy 20:09 29 Jan 2009

I know very little about Linux distro's but have played with a couple.

My advice (to follow) is by no means a promise to sort your issues.

lastchip or scotty may well put me right here,and would be best for them to check this over first before you attempt this.

I would use Testdisk click here to remove the linux partition and possibly then try MBRfix.exe to repair the bootloader javascript:__doPostBack('dnn$ctr819$Download$dgItems$ctl03$hypDownload',')

Download the tool and from a command prompt type

MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

Note:
the tool has two applications,one for 32bit os and one for 64bit os.

I would suggest you backup any files first.

As said earlier,do ask lastchip or Scotty to check this over as i have not tried this before.

Just an idea for you and another avenue...Maybe.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?