Hi one and all.
I hope all the Linux experts here will be able to help me out with this if they don’t mind. From previous posts that I’ve read, I noticed that Taran has some experience with Linux and was hoping for some advice, but please, everybody join in as this isn’t meant to be at all exclusive!
I have a copy of Linux Mandrake 9 which was free with a recent PC magazine and would like to try it out, but was a little concerned about the installation of it on my multi-boot system and it affecting the Master Boot Record. The set-up I have is outlined below and a lot of thanks and gratitude go to Flecc for helping me get there. I have a 6 GB partition available on which I’d like to install Linux.
I have 2 x 40 GB hard drives with an Athlon 1.5GHz XP and 512Mb PC2100 DDR memory. The motherboard is an MSI K7T266 Pro2 and the graphics card is an ATI All-In-Wonder. The soundcard is Creative SB Live 5.1
Drive 1 (primary master) has five partitions on it. In order they are:
· XP on NTFS, WinMe, 98SE and two logical partitions for data & imaging.
Drive 2 (primary slave) has four partitions on it:
· Unallocated space, WinMe and two logical data partitions again for data & imaging.
I’d like to put Linux on the unallocated partition on Drive 2 and I’m using Boot Magic for the boot manager. The system is running sweet, so I hope to install Linux without too much bother. My main concern is that XP will try and take control while doing the Linux install and my first thoughts were to image everything prior to starting and secondly to physically disconnect Drive 1 – both power and IDE cable - so that the system “sees” only Drive 2.
Is this the best way to go, do you think? Can any problems be foreseen when re-connecting Drive 1?
Other questions that have cropped up in my mind are these:
· What’s the difference between Linux versions? THIZ Linux which came with a motherboard from a recent PC build, Mandrake 9 & Red Hat? Is Mandrake 9 the best to use and why?
· Driver availability. Are these readily available for printers, scanners, soundcards etc?
· Will the Linux install allow me to only partition the area I want and leave the Me and data partitions following it intact on Drive 2..that is will it respect the partition boundaries? I guess the install programme will format also?
· Does Linux come with software/office type applications? What software is available for use with Linux? MP3 and DVD players etc?
· What about running things like CD and DVD players? Are the drivers for these part of Linux?
· Finally, any tips or suggestions as to the best way of doing this? All information will be greatly accepted.
· Mandrake 9 on the cover disc is a little unusual in that the magazine says that it comes as 3 ISO (?) images which must first be written to CDR. Do I just copy the images to the hdd and then write them to CD?
· Will the Linux boot manager conflict with Boot Magic?
Many thanks for taking the time to work your way through this! Sorry for so many questions….I’m just trying to pre-empt any disasters.