linux help

KPC 12:30 23 Nov 2008

Anybody point me to vector linux help on using a program called ndiswrapper to get it on the internet.
I have a linksys network card and a thinkpad 600e laptop

Procrastinus 12:53 23 Nov 2008

Go to Synaptic Package Manager - it should be there to download and install.

KPC 13:02 23 Nov 2008

i have it on the laptop but trying to use it is confusing, i am new to linux and its purely because i have this old laptop and i was told to put vector on and it works really fast, but i just dont understand how to configure the card with this program.

LastChip 14:19 23 Nov 2008

is one of the more obscure Linux distros.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with it, but it's unlikely to have the level of support that mainstream distros enjoy.

I would suggest you consider using one of the more mainstream distros as it's your first attempt to use Linux.

If you like to post the basic specs. of the laptop (CPU, memory, etc) then I'm sure we may be able to guide you to something that may work.

However, if you want to try and use Vector Linux, you should find ndiswrapper in gslapt. That should be the package manager for Vector.

Just launch gslapt by clicking on it and the very first thing to do is to click the Update icon. This is essential to make sure all the packages referenced on your system are the latest available.

Now search for ndiswrapper and click the package to install - it's that easy!

Now identify the windows driver for your wireless chip. It will be "something".inf

Open a terminal (don't worry) and type the command:

ndiswrapper -i [driver name]

This is commanding ndiswrapper to do its stuff and the -i means install and finally the driver name (whatever it is).

You have just installed the drivers. Now you want to load them - the command is:

modprobe ndiswrapper

Try it at this point and see if it works. If it does, you may have to use the following command to make it persistent on reboots, but don't use it unless it's necessary:

dhcpcd wlan0

Hope that helps and a very warm welcome to the world of Linux. A world that knows no constraints!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie