Linux - explore?

howard64 17:56 03 Aug 2009

In Linux is there the equivalent of using explorer in windows? I am interested in trying Linux but wonder how to look within the pc hard drive and other pcs connected to my network. Thanks in advance.

woodchip 18:00 03 Aug 2009

Your Best bet, is first download a Live CD. It does not load Linux to your Hard Drive it works from CD and Memory on your PC. List click here You have to Create a ISO image with the Download, If you have Nero that will create a ISO CD

DieSse 18:18 03 Aug 2009

File Manager it's usually called. However there are different ones dependant on the "flavour" of Linux

I'm using (alongside XP) Linix Mint. It's based on Ubuntu, and has as standard some useful extras. Excellent.

Woodchips advice about a live CD is good. You can try it without affecting the hard drive at all. Only drawback is it runs a bit slower off a CD and you can't save any changes you make.

howard64 19:03 03 Aug 2009

thanks all so I will need to find out how to call file manager. A live cd is not needed as I have a spare oldish pc just waiting to be used.

Miké 19:12 03 Aug 2009

Nautilus is used in quite a few distibutions including Ubuntu click here_(file_manager)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?