Linux anyone

ronalddonald 11:30 10 Mar 2009

Im thinking of using linux i cant download it at the moment having problems! from the sites its available from.
Im thinking of trying click here

Ive never used them and i cant find any address for them just wondering if any of you guys have used them and how reliable are they. Or can anyone recommend a book with a cd. Or anonther way of getting hold of a novices disc in Linux

I grateful for your help.

woodchip 11:37 10 Mar 2009

Your best bet, before loading it on your computer is to first try a Live Linux CD. You can run this after creating the CD in Nero then just start with CD in Drive. Make sure that Comp is set to first boot from CD drive. Take your Pick There is some very small ones but bigger ones will have more software to play with click here

Picklefactory 11:38 10 Mar 2009

If you do a quick search for Linux on the helproom, you'll find loads of really good info and links. I've had a dabble with it, and whilst it hasn't really grabbed me to be honest, it's only through lack of time/patience to unlearn some of my Windows habits. I genuinely wish I had the time to spend on it, as it has many advantages (As well as some dissadvantages if you're a Windows addict)
A good way to start is by using a live CD, which is simply a complete OS on cd. You can just run from that without requiring an install, to see how you like each distro. There are numerous versions of Linux, and not all are recommended for someone new to it. You can taste a few for free to find a flavour you like.

tigertop2 11:53 10 Mar 2009

Re books you could try 'UBUNTU for Non-Geeks' the second Edition comes with a free UBuntu CD which loads Ubuntu v 7.04 (feisty fawn), although that is probably upgraded by now. You have to be very dedicated to it to follow it after Windows. I got too exasperated by it and gave up after trying 3 versions

dms_05 13:18 10 Mar 2009

You can download them all using DistroWatch click here

Lots of choice - take a look at the download list to see the most popular at the moment. I personally like PC LinuxOS and Mint Linux - a very major advantage of Mint is it can be installed from Windows and run as a Windows application thereby bypassing the need to partition your hard drive. You get all the Linux advantages without any disadvantages and speed is very quick.

The best advice has already been given - run several variations from their LiveCD versions. It allows you to check how it works with your system and peripherals without installing. It allows you some idea of look and feel - although LiveCD's run very slowly and often you are amazed at the speed when Linux is fully installed.

I've only stopped using Linux recently because I've tried Windows 7 and that's my own choice for the future. But Linux can be excellent and is totally free.

LastChip 20:56 10 Mar 2009

First decide how close you want to be tied to Windows. That may seem a strange thing to say, but it IS essential to know which desktop is likely to be satisfactory to you.

Which desktop you ask? Yes, there's a number of them, with KDE and Gnome being the most well known, but others including E17, fluxbox, openbox and others. If you want to stay close to Windows, use a distribution (distro) that uses KDE as it's desktop. If you think you would like to try something similar to a MAC, try a Gnome based distro.

Good starting distros that are Windows like are, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, SimplyMepis and the KDE version of Linux Mint.

The most well known distro of all, Ubuntu, uses Gnome, and others include Debian, which is in fact, the distro that many of the others are based on.

Unlike Windows, you have almost infinite choice and that can be as much a curse for new users, as it is an advantage.

Personally, I use Linux almost exclusively and there's no way I would go back to nurse-maiding Windows.

So welcome to the world of Linux. Expect to spend a little time learning how to do things and most of all, when in Linux, do not use a Windows mentality. Linux is NOT hard, but it is different.

ronalddonald 21:50 10 Mar 2009

so much for your help i managed to download ubuntu 8.10 im still thinking of the other ones but i try 8.10 first and take it from there. Thank yo you all so much im very grateful for all your replies

katkins 14:29 11 Mar 2009

For six years my desktop operated Windows XP Home and my more recently purchased laptop, Vista Premium.

Last Friday, I decided to get rid of Windows XP and install Linux, in which I was taking quite a chance that the Linux system would work as well as Windows XP.

The reason I got rid of XP was because I found it was becoming over time increasingly unpredictably prone to crashes, freeze-ups and lockouts. I'd been operating my copy of recently bought Norton 360 Security Suite too and my security software was always up-to-date. The system was frequently scanned and no serious threats could be found except for cookies. Occasionally, A-squared would detect the odd Trojan which oddly enough, Norton failed to.

I installed Debian 5.0 from the Softpedia website after downloading and burning it to CD. Softpedia has an extensive range of Linux products.

The newly-created boot CD removed Windows during the partitioning procedure and now my HD has only Debian 5.0.

I'm glad I did it because the Debian OP is very impressive, configurable and stable, far more than I expected it to be as I was expecting a lot more difficulty in getting it up and running properly. With a bit of tweaking here and there via help from the Debian Forum, it is now operating fully in only four days. The operating speed of this system is quite amazing.

Except for the very occasional freeze-up in the Mozilla browser, (called Iceweasel in the Linux brand) which is instantly rectifiable anyway, I've had no crashes or lockouts.

I'm posting from it now.

Just a fortnight ago, I downloaded and installed Linux Mint alongside Windows XP, a really excellent distro if you just want to get the feel of Linux before going multi OS or, as in my case, removing Windows XP from one's computer, for good.

Previously, last year, I tried out Ubuntu, DSL Linux, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and Puppy. None of these, I found to be sufficiently user-friendly enough to justify a complete move,although one has to also be aware that you won't get full capacity from a Live CD that you'd obtain from a fully installed system so I've read.

Finally, I settled for Debian 5, one of the more long-established projects and it really does what it says on the tin. I'd say, it's about 98% user-friendly.

Experience of any OS is all you need to configure it and the forums are on hand to offer advice on the more complex procedures

LastChip 16:33 11 Mar 2009

I've used Debian as my primary system now for sometime, but it is considered by many to be difficult to install and configure, hence the reason I tend not to recommend it for new users. And yet you have found it to be (almost) friendly (although from your post, you're not entirely new to Linux).

Perhaps I should reconsider Debian as suitable from day one. You're certainly correct about one thing, it is unbelievably stable. If you haven't yet done the updates, you may well find Iceweasel stabilizes after the updates are complete. Personally, I rarely get any sort of freezing in anything any more, since Lenny was installed and on the rare occasion it did happen (prior to Lenny), it was always Iceweasel using Flash on a 64 bit installation - something that was never meant to be anyway.

Welcome to Linux.

User-1229748 16:52 11 Mar 2009

i got mine by registering and requesting a cd from these chaps.it is a good way of trying it out without having to install as others have saidclick here

ronalddonald 00:12 12 Mar 2009

to all of you, you have been a great help, i just downloaded mint and will be looking at in greater detail soon i'm just printing of the documentation for mint its a pdf file and be soon be using it.

Ive just used Ubuntu and its pretty impressive it recognised my modem, and as im typing im using fire-fox. It didn't exactly recognise my printer, but after five minutes it found drivers, for cartridges that are use in Epsom rx520 i used drivers for the rx425.

Its very stable compared to windows and very impressive thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017