Linuk

Madrat 01:42 04 Mar 2008

I'm thinking of giving Linux a go. Just to see what its like. I plan to use it on an old PC to see if I like it but some one said most broard band modems wont work with it is that true? the version I have downloaded and burnt to CD is ubunto 7.10 I use sky broardband. Can anyone enlighten me?

octal 06:46 04 Mar 2008

I've never heard of Linuk, a lot of people on here are using PCLinuxOS which you might find hardware support much better with click here

I think the support for dial-up modems are the main problem and not your normal broadband modem because I think most Linux distributions will support most broadband modems these days.

scotty 09:52 04 Mar 2008

One of the great things about linux is the that you can try it out without installing anything on your computer. You can run a "live" version of linux directly from the cd. This will let you see if there are any issues with linux recognising the hardware. Just pop the cd in and restart your computer and it will load a "live" session of Ubuntu.

DieSse 15:29 04 Mar 2008

"...some one said most broard band modems wont work with it is that true?"

No that isn't true. What is true is that most dial-up win-modems are problematical with Linux.

skidzy 15:31 04 Mar 2008

Plenty of reading here click here
just to give you a small idea of PCLinuxOS2007

Madrat 15:32 04 Mar 2008

OK I downloaded and burnt to cd Kubuntu, but it has not burnt or for that matter downloaded properly, it just goes to a file that windows cant read. It wont boot up from the disk.

Pine Man 15:44 04 Mar 2008

Get a CD from Ubuntu free of charge at click here

skidzy 15:53 04 Mar 2008

You need to burn the download as an iso.

Imgburn will do this for you click here simple to use,just follow the prompts.

Though i would recommend PCLinuxOS2007 over Ubuntu,personal choice.

skidzy 15:58 04 Mar 2008

You also need to go into the bios and change the boot order from hdd to cd/dvd as first boot device.

Boot order should read something like;

cd/dvd
hdd
floppy
usb

Madrat 15:58 04 Mar 2008

Thanks

I have requested a copy of Kubunto and ubuntu

Madrat 16:00 04 Mar 2008

yes did that, but it was the file download and burning at fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?