Linspire help required.

doggon 21:48 12 Sep 2005

Help required please.

After seeing DieSse’s post about free Linspire I thought I would give it a go. First I was about 460th in the queue and annoyingly just before my turn came, as the page turned over to display a lower number awaiting the download, I got a webpage unobtainable. The same thing happened on the second try so I decided to try the Bit Torrent route. I have never used this before but followed the link and installed Bit Torrent and then managed to download the file, Linspire 5.0.59 An iso file of 646 MB. I then read the Nero help files as I have never handled an iso file before. Everything appears to be going OK, Nero says it is doing an iso 9660 image file but on completion I just have a CD with 10 files on it. When I load the CD a window opens for the D drive showing 10 files on the CD. I've tried a number of times and now have 4 useless CD's. What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

Dipso 22:34 12 Sep 2005

Do you have the boot order set to boot from CD ROM and are you booting your system with the CD in the drive?

doggon 22:44 12 Sep 2005

Thanks for responding. I did try booting from the CD and it didn't work. I am going to have another go at it.

Cheers.

Skills 22:51 12 Sep 2005

Open up nero express and choose the disk image or saved project option and then point it to the iso file. You may have to change the file box to display all files.

My linspire cd that i have burnt and does work also has 10 files on it, well 3 folders and the rest are files.

Have you checked the Boot order in your BIOS?

Dipso 22:55 12 Sep 2005

Sounds like you've done everything right then...this is what I followed when burning the ISO click here=

doggon 23:28 12 Sep 2005

I feel a right prat. I now have it working. First I was expecting Linspire to load by just inserting the CD. Then I thought maybe I have to boot with the CD in the drive and I went wrong with that. I can change the boot priority by hitting a key as booting commences. I was hitting the D key (which does nothing) instead of the C key which boots from the CD Rom drive. I was thinking C was hard drive.

Dipso, I found that page and used it. I also used Nero express, startsmart and burning rom and ended up with 4 Cd's all the same. I thought each had gone wrong.

Thanks for your help.

doggon the idiot.

Skills 23:50 12 Sep 2005

Glad you've got it sorted and maybe you could pass the other 3 cds about to your mates and see if they like linux?

doggon 14:18 13 Sep 2005

Just to let you know that not only did I give the three spare CD's away this morning, but I've since had two requests for copies.

Once again,thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?