LinksysWAG54GS goes offline

IJD 20:14 07 May 2006

My router goes offline after a short period of inactivity. My PC is wired to the router via a Belkin Gigabit desktop card. When I am online my Network Connections folder in the control panel shows 2 icons, 'Local area connection 2' & 'Internet connection'. The Internet connection icon diappears when I am offline. When I try to connect or read my emails I have to wait several minutes until this icon appears (it also appears as a second 2 screen icon in the systray). After a few minutes of inactivity the Internet connection icons disappear. When my PC is switched off my laptop cannot connect online which I believe should not happen.

Whilst typing this I have lost my connection for the second time so I am going to have to reconnect before sending this as I lost all the text the last time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ian

ade.h 20:23 07 May 2006

There is - I suspect - something very wrong with your configuration. For one thing, the "2" tells me that you have ended up with a recreated LAN connection, which is not a big issue in itself, but does point to bigger issues. Secondly - and more importantly - there should not normally be a seperate entry for the internet conncetion on a client that sources its internet connection from the LAN. The WAG is a combined modem/router, not a cable DSL router, isn't it? click here is what it should look like (ignore the Firewire entry if you don't have it).

mgmcc 00:03 08 May 2006

Don't ask me why because I don't know, but I have the separate "Internet Connection" entry click here and my connection is via the LAN from my router. It wasn't always there and I *THINK* it "arrived" after I installed a second network adapter in the PC.

IJD 23:50 08 May 2006

ade.h

Thanks for your response. Does this mean that I should reinstall my router?

Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017