Linksys WRT54G / WRT54GSUK

  mr edd 09:08 29 Sep 2007

Hi folks.
Im just looking for some advice here, I have had a read through the topics on wireless network on a virgin broadband conection.

Is the Linksys WRT54G the same as the WRT54GSUK
will the WRT54GSUK be ok for a cat5 wired conection for two desktops.

manny thanks
mr edd.

  mgmcc 12:48 29 Sep 2007

The WRT54G is the standard 54Mbps version of the router. The WRT54GS is the version with SpeedBoost incorporated and, when used in conjunction with a compatible Linksys Wireless Network Adapter with SpeedBoost should connect at 125Mbps. I have this kit (although I no longer use the Linksys router) and have yet to be convinced that there is any speed increase at all.

I actually contacted Linksys and asked if, in the adapter's Properties, it should show as connected at 125Mbps rather than 54Mbps. They couldn't (or wouldn't) give me a definitive answer.

I mainly use a D-Link DI-524, or Netgear WGR614, rather than the Linksys which had a habit of losing connections to networked computers about twice a day. I think the WRT54G was a more reliable product than the SpeedBoost WRT54GS version.

  mgmcc 12:51 29 Sep 2007

To answer the other part of your question, any of the routers I've mentioned is suitable for CAT5 connection to two desktop computers; they all have four ethernet LAN ports.

  mr edd 17:09 29 Sep 2007

Thanks for the help.

so the Linksys sounds a bit unreliable then.

think i will try the D-Link DI-524

do I need to connect the D-Link DI-524 to the virgin-( old ntl cable modem ) or do i bin that and connect the internet feed to the D-Link ?.

thanks again.
mr edd.

  Strawballs 22:44 29 Sep 2007

I have the wrt54g and have been using it for about 3 yrs without it ever missing a beat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?