Linksys WRT54G

a-1233370 23:48 26 Jan 2008

hi im new here and am in need of help.
i got given the Linksys WRT54G router by my cousin yesterday to use so i am able to go online on my playstaion 3. now im a bit confused.
im with talktalk and i am using the SmartAx Mt882 modem. it says adsl on the modem and apparently the linksys router is dsl. does that mean i cant use it the router

if i am able to use it could someone quickly run through how i should be connectiong it up like the wires and things.

many thanks

a-1233370 23:49 26 Jan 2008

forgot to add i didnt get a cd to help set it up

Kemistri 01:13 27 Jan 2008

In terms of acronyms, there is only one difference -- one specifically refers to asymmetric transfer rates and the other acronym does not specify. However....

In the world of routers, DSL is typically used in a slightly misleading way to indicate a router that is compatible with the Ethernet modems used by cable providers -- that's Virgin (nee NTL) in other words -- and is often described as "cable/DSL". Technically, cable broadband is still a Digital Subscriber Line and it is still Asymmetric.... but there the two forms diverge.

So you, as an ADSL user, cannot normally use a cable DSL router (one without a built-in modem) unless it has been designed to work with ADSL USB modems -- and I don't think that anyone has ever actually produced such a product.

Pass that old Linksys back to your relative and procure a modem/router instead.

Strawballs 20:52 27 Jan 2008

As Kemistri said the router you have is for cable ISP (Virgin Media) and you need a combined modem/router click here any one of these will do. Shame though I have that router with Virgin and it has worked faultless for over 3 years.

a-1233370 15:48 29 Jan 2008

apparently my current talktalk one has soemthing built in it making it compatible to work with the linksys one??

a-1233370 15:49 29 Jan 2008

ethernet cable port

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?