Linksys Wireless Setup

zipman 11:33 02 Jan 2007

I have a Desktop PC that is connected to a linksys WAG54G5 wireless-G ADSL Gateway, via a cable this works just fine.

I also have Packard Bell easynote Laptop that is wifi enabled.

I have tried all the instructions so far, and all it keeps saying is that it is aquiring network address.

Any help would be gratefully received.

mgmcc 12:41 02 Jan 2007

Has the laptop actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

If the router's wireless settings are definitely configured correctly and you have "Connected" to the wireless network, in the PC go to "Start > Run" type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. In the Services window that opens, scroll down to the "DHCP Client" service, double click it to open its Properties sheet and ensure that it is "Started" and that its Startup Type is set to "Automatic".

Strawballs 23:01 02 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?