Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander

Fraserm 21:25 02 Apr 2006

I currently have a Linksys ADSL Gateway Router/modem, model BEFDSR41W, which I bought about 3 years ago. This router always worked well in my old house using a laptop, but when I moved house recently the router has not been working so well. The reason being that my new house is bigger, and has thicker walls (it's an old Edinburgh house, with sold walls).

The wireless signal is strong in rooms near to the router, but at the room furthest from the router I have a desktop PC and the signal varies from medium to non-existant.

I thought the solution would be simple enough, and I bought a Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander to boost the wireless signal throughout the house. However, after days of frustration trying to get this to work (including a spell of about 20 minutes when the desktop PC had an excellent wireless signal), I gave up and checked various forums, and found out that the repeater was only really compatiable with the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router.

I then decided to upgrade to the new WRT54G router, and purchased this model. I did do some research before buying this, but nowhere I looked mentioned that this was a DSL router, and so, as it transpired when I received the new router I could not use it with my BT ADSL line.

I am now back at square one, using my trusty old ADSL Gateway router, and not using my Wireless_G expander. Does anyone know if it is possible to link up these two devices, or will I need to choose a completely different approach?

Thanks.

Strawballs 21:29 02 Apr 2006

Is there any way you can move the router to a more central postion in the house.

Strawballs 21:34 02 Apr 2006

click here Is there anything here that will help.

Fraserm 18:07 03 Apr 2006

There is only one BT line access point in the house, and unfortunately, it's not in a central location.

I'll check out the other links you have suggested

Fraserm 19:45 04 Apr 2006

The links you provided just show the "Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander" which I have already purchased, and cannot get to work with my old router.

Any further suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?