Linksys USB wireless adapter problem

Tim1964 17:36 25 Nov 2005

I was using a Linksys USB wireless adapter to connect my WinXP Pro laptop to my wireless router which was working fine-

BUT since a format/rebuild, now when I connect the adapter into my laptop after a few seconds the 'wireless network connection available' 'balloon' pops up and then a second later it says '..not available' then a second later it says 'wireless network connection available'and then '..not available' and it just alternates until I select 'safely remove hardware' thingy and remove the adapter.

Any ideas,
Thanks,

woodchip 17:40 25 Nov 2005

If yhou have done a Format you first have to setup you router or whatever you are using, then copythe settings like SSID Password etc. to be able to connect

Tim1964 21:14 25 Nov 2005

The router is connected to my desktop PC and hasn't been touched therefore the SSID and WEP passcodes haven't changed.

I've been on the phone to Linksys tech support, very helpful and a freephone number (bonus). It's seems that because the adapter is using the Windows wireles utility AND the Linksys utility, it's causing some sort of conflict. Unfortunately, even after about 1/2 hr on the phone, Linksys couldn't sort it.

I'll try another call tomorrow.

woodchip 21:23 25 Nov 2005

I had that with my Laptop I when into Device Manager and Disabled LAN as I use a PMCIA card

Tim1964 00:12 26 Nov 2005

It appears that I was entering the wrong WEP pass key!!

On the 'aide memoir' (piece of paper) I had written the pass key as numbers and letters AND a passWORD. When I used the letter/number combo it did as above, but when I entered the WEP key in password form it connected straight away.

Easy really ?!?!?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?