Linksys Router WAG160N

penholder 23:24 28 Mar 2011

Bought this as a recommended best buy and ease of set up. Not as easy as BT Hub. How do I lock this Linksys Router to prevent other PCs accessing my Broadband? How do I permit my other PCs to access the router wirelessly? Can anyone help, please?

mgmcc 08:37 29 Mar 2011

You prevent "unwanted guests" from accessing your wireless network by encrypting it with WEP/WPA/WPA2 in the router's wireless settings. If supported by all hardware, use WPA2 which is the most secure.

You can also use MAC Address Filtering so that only those network adapters whose MAC address has been entered in the router's settings will be able to connect.

To connect computers that you want to access the router wirelessly, they would scan for Available Wireless Networks, you would select the one whose SSID matches that of your router and click the Connect button. When prompted, enter the encryption key and you should connect. If MAC Address Filtering is enabled, you would have to have keyed the wireless adapter's MAC address into the router's settings before trying to connect.

penholder 20:26 30 Mar 2011

Thanks mgmcc. I followed the instructions but nothing seemed to work. Then some "free" software opened up to add to the installation confusion. Then when I rebooted the following day, it worked! The only problem I seem to have now is that my laptop, in the list of available networks, shows my router twice, once as a protected network and the other as an unprotected network

mgmcc 07:46 31 Mar 2011

If you're seeing your router twice as an "Available Wireless Network" to which you can Connect, and not as a saved 'profile' in your PC, it may be that a neighbour has the same router also using the default SSID.

In your own router settings, change the SSID to a name of your own that identifies it clearly.

penholder 08:30 31 Mar 2011

I think you are right. Looking at the un-protected available network, the owner has left the ID as supplied. I had changed my user ID and password. Have now solved the problem regarding laptop. I'd used the network MAC and not the wireless MAC! Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?