Linksys Router Help..won't connect to Broadband...

Chrisann 19:48 14 Nov 2006

Hi..having a few initial set up problems...Modem is working perfectly on ntl Broadband...Connected all cables to Linksys Router and Modem and plugged in...C.D. Software installed to install etc. But when I get to try to connect to the Internet it keeps telling ti unplug modem and try again...Well I have done this today so many times..tried everything but still it says it can't connect. All cables seem correct etc. Anyone any ideas before I lose the plot.

Thanks for any help..

Chrisann.

brundle 20:00 14 Nov 2006

Have you set the Linksys to use the modem's MAC address?

Terry Brown 20:05 14 Nov 2006

I have a lnksys router,using it with Telewest.When I connected it all up and installed the software, it would not connect. I found the best way was to un-install the software, leave the modem powered up and re-start windows. XP found the new hardware, installed it, no problem
Terry

Chrisann 20:33 14 Nov 2006

Re Mac Address..don't think I got that far really...

Terry Are you saying leave everything plugged in...take out te software C.D. set up . Restart Comp and it might be o.k.?

Not sure how far the initial set up has got but I have exited it 4 times so far..as it just won't connect...

Chrisann.

Chrisann 20:35 14 Nov 2006

It couldn't be Zone Alarm could it..it is very powerful always asking me whether to let things through etc. Should I disable it and try it that way..or not?

Chrisann.

Stuartli 20:49 14 Nov 2006

Your "very powerful" ZA requests permission to allow or deny access and will continue to do so unless you grant permission or otherwise and, if necessary, tick the box.

Obviously you need to allow quite a few permissions such as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Firefox etc and anything else you know to be safe.

Stuartli 20:51 14 Nov 2006

Your router and the IP address will be/should be listed in the Firewall tab>Zones.

Mad Mick 23:58 14 Nov 2006

The Linksys support team in the call centre in the Phillipines is excellent, and free as far as I know. I used them to set up my Grandaughters laptop and was really impressed with their knowledge.

Strawballs 00:23 15 Nov 2006

Try doing it manually, connect to the router via wire supplied open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 to access the routers set up.

click here

Strawballs 00:24 15 Nov 2006

You will then need to put admin in the user box and admin in the password box

WhiteTruckMan 01:01 15 Nov 2006

that your pc connects without the router. If it doesnt then you may need to re-provision it. this means going to an ntl setup page, deleting all machines listed then listing your machine. I forget the address of the logon/provisioning page off the top of my head, but I could probably dig it out tomorrow if needed. The provisioning is to 'notify' the ntl system of the mac address of your network adaptor.

Next, plug in the router. access the routers internal functions with your pc as per the booklet of instructions. (username:admin Password to be left blank? something like that)
Somewhere in the menus you should find an option to clone the mac address of the network adaptor of the machine you are using to speak to the router. I think its just a click of a button. do that then save changes and exit, reboot and that should hopefully do the job.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?