linksys print server psus4

silliw 21:39 24 Jan 2006

I am trying to attach a HP Officejet G55 (all in one)to my network using a Linksys PSUS4 print server through my Netgear Wireless router. I can get through the setup fine and the print server actually recognises the printer as a HP G55 but when I send a testpage through the print server lights show activity but there is no activity on the printer.

Is this an issue with (1)HP printers on non HP print servers, (2) all in one printers on a print server or (3)is there a general issue with this Linksys print server??

Anyhelp would be appreciated as ive got the network working fine with 5 pc's through the router and this is the final act to get the whole system working great.

mgmcc 09:59 25 Jan 2006

<<< Is this an issue with (1)HP printers on non HP print servers >>>

Not as such, because I am using an old HP Deskjet 840c very successfully via a Linksys PSUS4 print server.

<<< (2) all in one printers on a print server >>>

That is a possibility. I know someone with an old Office Jet T45 which actually connects via a parallel port but, in its Properties, it isn't shown as connected to LPT1, but to "DOT..." port (don't have exact details). My own HP PSC 1215 has created a "DOT4_001" port as well.

If your all-in-one is connected via USB, but shown as a special port created by the software, it may not function with the print server. Also, the print server might only support "printing" and not any additional functions - scanning, copying, faxing from the PC.

My solution for using multiple computers (Windows, Mac & Linux) with my PSC1215 was a USB switch, but I don't need more than 4 ports - click here=

silliw 21:03 26 Jan 2006

emailed Linksys who advised that the Officejet failed tests on their server and they could not get it to print. They advise that most multi function printers will not work on their print server as they are reliant upon their own software for functionality

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?