Linksys out, Netgear in. Or is it????

Picklefactory 16:28 13 Aug 2007

After no end of grief with my, now 2nd, Linksys WAG354G wireless router, I'm planning on trying a Netgear router. My question is, I have a Linksys wireless PCI adapter in my desktop pc, would anyone invisage any issues using the Netgear router with the Linksys adapter?

Head hurts 16:54 13 Aug 2007

i have a netgear dg834pn it works fine with all the usb adapters and cards tried so i can recommend this item

Dipso 17:32 13 Aug 2007

Currently none of my adapters are of the same brand as my router plus I have tried 3 different brand routers in the last couple of months and all were compatible.

I had one issue with a Netgear DG834N which wouldn't accept a 63 digit WPA key for the wireless, reduced the key to 35 digits and it allowed the connections.

Picklefactory 20:43 13 Aug 2007

Thanks folks, that answers my question perfectly

Picklefactory 20:48 13 Aug 2007

PS Dipso, you gave me loads of great advice when I had issues with internal adsl router which gave me great education and convinced me to go wireless, unfortunately, this damned Linksys heap of junk is what I chose. Doh! Still, grateful for all the advice though.

Dipso 22:45 13 Aug 2007

Never used Linksys myself...installed a stand alone router for my parents cable but that's about it.

There are many Netgears to choose from. I wouldn't recommend the DG834G for ADSL Max...many find them trouble free but I had issues with mine after upgrading.

I've had success with a Speedtouch 585v6 a Speedtouch 780WL both are very stable and work well on long lines, a BT Business Hub also stable on long lines but not so freely available unfortunately, got mine new from Ebay and more recently the Netgear DG834N which can be a bit pricey as it's the latest of the range.

Post back when you've decided which you're going for.

setecio 23:11 14 Aug 2007

Which version of the DG834G did you have trouble with Dipso, as the current version is v3, was it v1 or v2 ?

Dipso 23:23 14 Aug 2007

v2...to be fair the issue I was having, fluctuating noise margin reporting, could have been resolved with v3 which I believe is based on a different chipset and uses separate firmware.

Strawballs 22:39 15 Aug 2007

Had my linksys 3 yrs now without problem, cable mind you wrt54g

L8ian 02:07 17 Jun 2008

There is no compatibility issues with netgear router and linksys adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?