Linking Outlook Express to Internet Explorer

hassled 16:58 21 Jan 2006

My mother has a portable PC that came with Norton Internet Security and had a Tiscali dial up through Internet Explorer. When the Norton expired I bought her a CD version. The update was massive so i connected her computer to my broadband but now, although her dial up internet connection will work, her Outlook Express cannot find where to connect to the internet. I have downloaded instructions on how i should make this work; I have been into Tools, Accounts, Properties and it has the correct entries for incoming mail and outgoing mail, POP3 etc. The a/c name is correct, as is the password. It has the correct connection identified in the properties box and I've checked other boxes are not incorrectly checked. Yet still it says that it cannot identfy the POP3 server. Any ideas?

palinka 17:11 21 Jan 2006

I'm not clear why you're trying to link Outlook Express (used for receiving and sending email) to Internet Explorer (which is where you read web pages).
HOW have you connected your mother's PC to your broadband? As hers seems to have only a dial-up modem it may need other hardware to do what you are trying to do.

hassled 17:21 21 Jan 2006

I thought that Outlook Express went through Explorer to get to the internet. My point is that OE cannot connect to the internet. I loaded the software for broadband and then connected her PC in place of mine to the broadband modem via the USB. When I reconnected her PC to the normal phone line it showed a choice to connect to either throughn the broadband or the traditional dial up. If you choose dial up for the IE it works as b4 but not when OE tries to connect.

VoG II 17:23 21 Jan 2006

Have you uninstalled broadband and removed the broadband connection in Control Panel, Network Connections?

hassled 17:28 21 Jan 2006

No I'll try that. (I didn't because my own computer continues to offer me a choice of connections (old dial up or broadband) and the dial up on hers works with IE) Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?