linking a newer pc to an older pc

sgetty 18:36 12 Sep 2005

is it possible for me to link a newish pc with xp pro and usb to an older pc with win98 and no usb ports just to use for sharing my broadband internet connection????
if its possible can you please explain in some detail
thanks for any help

woodchip 18:45 12 Sep 2005

If you are on a BT line, You need a BB ISP and this what I got. You do not need to network them and connect one or both together to the net. click here

it's got a Free Wireless Laptop card with it

woodchip 18:46 12 Sep 2005

PS you need ether Ethernet card's or USB dongles if you do not have a Ethernet connection in the back of your computer.

sgetty 18:49 12 Sep 2005

is this ok to use even if the older pc does not have any usb ports?

woodchip 18:56 12 Sep 2005

Yes you have to also but a PCI Ethernet card to fit the Win98 comp or what ever it is. Any of these but I would go for the bottom one it's the Cheapest check the reviews click here

sgetty 19:09 12 Sep 2005

just checked that the newer pc does not have network or ethernet connection either

woodchip 19:18 12 Sep 2005

Then you need two cards or one card for the computer near to the router so you can connect that with a Ethernet cable this is so you can configure the router easier, the other can have a Wireless card or a USB dongle in the newer computer. click here

sgetty 19:21 12 Sep 2005

please forgive me for being a bit slow on this but i really didnt have a clue cheers for your help

woodchip 19:28 12 Sep 2005

No that's OK. That's what I like doing Helping some one who asks for help

woodchip 19:31 12 Sep 2005

if you do get the above I can make it easy for you to setup as I have them. other than the USB but that will should be just as easy to setup. And if you buy all from same maker they should work faster and together

djbenny 20:17 12 Sep 2005

couldnt you use a serial cable, the bauld rate is slow though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?