Linking laptop to pc

Tony-1356181 18:33 25 May 2009

I bought two Belkin Wireless G Network Adaptors from PC World, thinking that I could connect my laptop to my pc in ad-hoc (peer to peer) mode. I followed the setup instructions for installing, but whilst I can see both adapters flashing their lights when trying to find each other, they both report failing to find a network.
I've only ever networked PCs via the serial port before, (quite a long time ago) using something that was going at the time called "The $25 Network". Very slow, but that was back in Windows 3.1 days.
This wireless technology is completely new to me. Any help greatly appreciated.

mgmcc 20:58 25 May 2009

Setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network with XP click here

Setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network with Vista click here

Tony-1356181 00:11 26 May 2009

Many thanks for that information mgmcc. I have both PC and laptop set up now, network running and new drives mapped on both for file sharing.
The only problem that I have now is Windows Firewall. It wanted this turned on to allow file and printer sharing, but I had previously always had it turned off, so as not to conflict with my McAfee Firewall. Is there a way that I can have Windows Firewall turned off and still enable file and printer sharing, or can I run both Windows and McAfee firewalls together without any problems ?

mgmcc 07:51 26 May 2009

I have never used the Windows Firewall in any of my PCs (I use Zone Alarm) and disabling Windows Firewall hasn't caused a problem when running an Ad Hoc wireless network.

I suspect you may have run the networking wizard to set up the File & Printer Sharing and this has configured the Windows Firewall. I never use the wizard, I just right click the folders I want to have available over the network and select the option to share. Just disable the Windows Firewall again.

Tony-1356181 23:32 27 May 2009

That's great. Once again many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?