Linking external monitor to HP laptop

Pashtari 19:04 22 Mar 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get an external monitor working with a HP DV9700 laptop? The screen is cracked and it's totally white, so I'm unable to do anything through the BIOS, desktop, etc.

I've tried Fn-f4 and every other f button combination.
The laptop is plugged into the mains, so there should be sufficient power for an external monitor (it's a CRT, by the way)
I've also re-booted the laptop with the monitor connected and switched on.
There is no option to switch on the laptop with the lid closed, due to the position of the on-off switch.
The laptop is not networked, so I can't access the hard drive any other way.

Is there anything else left to try?

Also, does anyone know of a replacement LCD screen under £100 - this is the cheapest I've found, on ebay.

Many thanks,

John

MAJ 21:59 22 Mar 2009

It appears that Fn + F4 is the correct key combination, Pashtari click here page 6.

woodchip 22:08 22 Mar 2009

As Maj thats how my HP Laptop Works

Pashtari 00:49 23 Mar 2009

Thanks, but as I said, it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

woodchip 18:35 23 Mar 2009

Have you tried without the Laptop Battery plugged in

Pashtari 19:24 23 Mar 2009

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work either.

Everything I've found on Google suggests you need to get into the desktop settings to enable the external monitor, but it's hard to do that with a completely white screen!

It's running on Vista, by the way.

I wondered if it would be possible to set it up 'blind' ? Assuming the cursor is in the middle of the 'screen', if I knew which buttons to press and in which order, could it be done? I think it starts with a right click on the desktop, but after that I need precise instructions.

Many thanks,

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?