Linking a Dell pc tower through a laptop - how to?

JP Isleworth 10:41 31 Jul 2007

Hi - Have a laptop that is a work one - and an older dell standalone both running xp at home. I want to be able to surf using the laptop but also view files on the dell box ie photos etc using the laptop as a screen to show the files. Can i do this - would i need a kvs switch or can i set the laptop to access the box almost as an external hardrive - apologies if this is confusing...

TonyM 11:06 31 Jul 2007

Simplest way (assuming dell box is connected to the internet via a moduem) is to use a network crossover cable to link the two machines ...and then set up Internet Connection Sharing on the Dell machine. Downside is that the Dell machine will need to be switched on for the laptop to access the net, and laptop will have to be within the cable length.

Other option is a wireless router ....

JP Isleworth 11:31 31 Jul 2007

Tony - I have a netgear wireless router and the laptop access the net via this - so using the router i can access the older box? is that easy?

ambra4 11:59 31 Jul 2007

Try this

click here

TonyM 12:23 31 Jul 2007

You need to make sure both machines are members of the same workgroup, and then set at least one folder on each machine as "shared" ...I would recommend just running the "Network Setup Wizard" that is part of XP on each machine (because you are using a router you don't need to use Internet Connection Sharing).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone