linking 2 pcs for net use with usb2 or ethernet ?

  markygee 20:58 08 Sep 2006

i want to link 2 pcs to the net. one of the pcs does not have a ethernet card shoud i buy one or link them both with a usb2 network cable?

  howard63 21:03 08 Sep 2006

it depends on how you connect to the web - if a simple modem and you intend peer to peer networking then a cheap ethernet card and a crossover cable will do. If you have a modem/router then you would use what connections are on the router mostly ethernet. I have never had much success with a usb network cable.

  markygee 21:07 08 Sep 2006

i have a bt bb home hub with 2.5 to 5bit connection depending on the day and i want to use both pcs for multiplayer gaming as well as browsing, you know the usual stuff!

  amateurann 21:47 08 Sep 2006

I have Home Hub with two laptops connected wirelessly + desktop which I originally connected using 5 metre usb cable. Desktop doesn't have ethernet either. Have since installed wireless card tho cos of cable running through living room. Also use broadband phone on hub and whole lot can run at once with no probs. Used by family for online games etc. BT claim Hub can run up to 10 devices at once but haven't tested it yet most I have attempted is 5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires