Link Computer To TV.Is It Possible To Do Cheaply?

Big L 266 15:11 25 Aug 2010

Hello.

I'm not a great TV watcher,but would welcome some input from you regarding the BBC iPlayer (amongst other UK TV station iPlayers) please.

My computer is a Dell Studio 540 running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.My TV is a Panasonic 37" Viera TX-37LZD80.My internet speed is around 15/17 meg.Is there a relatively cheap way to link my computer to my TV - preferably without cables - so that I can watch iPlayer programmes streaming 'live' without sitting at my computer please?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for your help,but please keep your answers as simple as possible!

Big L 266

howard64 16:28 25 Aug 2010

depends how far your pc will be to the tv and what equipment your pc is equipped with. My pc has a graphics card with an hdmi slot. My tv has an hdmi slot and with an hdmi cable, from about £10 up, the two can be connected together. As for running from a distance you could feed a tv next to the pc as described above and get a video sender to plug into the 2 tvs and pass stuff wirelessly. £35 upwards from the likes of maplins.

Woolwell 16:40 25 Aug 2010

I haven't used on but something like a Slingcatcher click here would seem to fit the requirements.

Woolwell 16:42 25 Aug 2010

Is your router n standard? I have found that video over wireless isn't that good or non-existent on g od b standard.

Big L 266 07:36 26 Aug 2010

Hello.

howard64....Thank you for your suggestions. My poor old graphics card doesn't look like its up to it sadly.I'll have to pass on this one.

Woolwell....I liked the Slingcatcher idea but broke out into a sweat when I saw the price.I was hoping my wireless router could be linked to my tv like my wifi radio and use some form of simple link between router,computer & tv from which to do this with.Thank you though for your suggestion which was a good one.

I'm going to stick with the various online players and watch the odd tv programme via my computer.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Big L 266

Woolwell 12:20 26 Aug 2010

Not a direct link from PC to TV but just discovered that a Wii will play iplayer see click here.
If you could get a second hand one it could be fun too.

Big L 266 08:28 04 Oct 2010

Hello.

This was a link given to me by a forum member and which you may find useful. Its called a 'Slingbox' and might well solve your problems.

click here

All the best.

Big L 266

Woolwell 14:37 23 Dec 2010

Have a look at the Viewsonic VMP74 which seems to do what you want. click here

If you look around you can get it for £60 inc VAT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone