link to another page but NOT in new window

mco 20:31 06 Sep 2005

I want to create a link in the middle of a sentence - you know, " click HERE to read about...etc..." . My WYSIWYG web program enables me to do this by highlighting the word,eg, HERE then typing in the link I want. But it automatically opens it in a new window and, as I want to link to another page on my site, I don't want that. I can't see a way round this other than trying it in html - so could anyone give me the code for a hyperlink that replaces the original window? I know it starts a href...then I'm not sure. Also, where in the code do I type the HERE(or whichever word I want viewers to click on)?

mco 20:33 06 Sep 2005

btw - my program does let me add links without opening a new window, but they have to be put in a separate 'block' on the page, rather than within a sentence I am typing. It doesn't look as neat their way.

Eric10 21:49 06 Sep 2005

If you look at the code for ther link that your WYSIWYG program has created you will see that it says something like 'click <a href="page-to-open.htm" target="_blank">HERE</a> to read about...'. The target="_blank" part is what tells it to open in a new window. Just change it to target="_self" to open in the same window.

Having said that, I will be surprised if your program doesn't have an option to set the target when you create the link as it is a fundamental requirement.

PurplePenny 21:49 06 Sep 2005

I'm sure that it must be possible to tell your software that you don't want it to open in a new window. What are you using?

If you can view/edit the HTML that your software is creating delete target=_blank.

To put it in yourself this is the code (with the opening "<" and closing ">" missing to stop the forum doing things with it):
a href="newpage.html">This will take you to the new page</a

Just put the opening tag (the a href bit) and the closing tag (the /a bit) around whatever text you want to be your link. It can be in the middle of a sentence. Don't use just "click here": the text of the link should still make sense when separated from the rest of the sentence.

PurplePenny 21:50 06 Sep 2005

Snap!

mco 23:33 06 Sep 2005

will have a go tomorrow thanks!

mco 00:07 07 Sep 2005

that's done it thanks! It actually set _new, not _ blank ,though I presume it amounted to the same. Changing it to_self did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)