lines on webpage

User-DA45BBB3-0667-4738-9AC5D435E66B9BBF 14:18 18 Feb 2008

after constant crashing and checking the helproom i cleaned my tower,boy did it need it.now 3 weeks later im getting vertical lines on webpages.yellow on white, blue on green etc.right now i have 4 vertical bands that look a cross between a barcode and a printed circuit board.in tv mode the screen is a mass of white dots.it is a 5 yr old medion comp and i fear the worst. am i right?

lotvic 14:36 18 Feb 2008

If display was okay before you cleaned/vacuumed the inside of tower then it is probably dust particles or cabling causing the prob.
things to try:
1. take out the cables and re-insert them firmly
2. a different monitor to see if it the monitor that has the fault or if it is the graphics card in tower
3. take out graphics card if you have one (as opposed to onboard) and clean any specs of dust from contacts (do not touch with fingers the gold pin contacts) and the slot it goes into.
4. make sure the graphics card is properly seated in its slot.

The usual way to clean is to use a clean paintbrush and holding a vacuum cleaner near (not touching any parts) to suck up the dust you have disturbed but everybody has their own favourite way.

thanks lotvic, ill try recleaning properly!

cleaning didnt help but a new graphics card did

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?