On-line security for Win 98SE

Glen 11:47 03 Dec 2006

I have 98SE and am a light user with dial-up. I have always used free editions of the Zone Alarm Firewall and AVG Free anti-virus.

The latest version of Zone Alarm does not support Windows SE, so I am continueing to use the previous version (v 6.1.744.001)

Now I have downloaded the latest AVG Free 7.5, only to find that
it requires 2000 or XP. (I am still using v 7.1 but support for this ends in January)

Can anyone recommend a better free AV and Firewall for Windows 98SE?

Glen

Terry Brown 11:50 03 Dec 2006

Sorry, but Windows 98se is obsolete, and software is no longer available for it, and as for AVG, I believe the free period is coming to an end soon.It may be time to look out for a newer machine.
Terry

Diodorus Siculus 11:57 03 Dec 2006

The free version of AVG isn't coming to an end; version 7.1 will not be supported, hence people have to get 7.5 (still free).

Diodorus Siculus 12:02 03 Dec 2006

By the way, I believe avast still works with Win98 click here

jakimo 12:02 03 Dec 2006

Windows 98se will still be used for a good few years yet,even if that was not the case,you would not have to "look out for a new machine" just upgrade to windows XP, for 98se sofware:-

click here

Totally-braindead 12:12 03 Dec 2006

Windows 98 is not obsolete, if you're happy with it and it does what you want then fine stick with it. AVG free is not coming to an end it is still available just in version 7.5 and it is still free. AVG anti virus 7.5 supports the following "The supported platforms for AVG 7.5 Free AntiVirus are Win98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista." Quote from Grisoft. The AVG antispyware 7.5 is different it only supports XP and Win 2000.
So keep your firewall or look for another free one and carry on with AVG.

Stuartli 12:54 03 Dec 2006

If you have not already done so, you can update Windows 98SE right up to the conclusion of Microsoft's support with the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack:

click here

There are still many, many thousands of 98SE users out there and are perfectly happy with their choice; furthermore software can still be readily found that works happily with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?