On-Line Searchable Databases, - How to Do

thegreypanther 19:27 08 May 2008

I have a website which aims to record the memorials and graves of men of the Yorkshire Regiment who lost their lives in the First World war.
It is essential that before the website is fully usable that it includes a searchable database, such that a visitor can look for a family name and find out all the occurrences of memorials related to that name.
My problem is that I need education on how to effect this. At the moment the raw data is being put into an Excel spreadsheet.
Are there any books or websites that somebody could recommend to me which would give me some idea as to how to set about this task?

Kemistri 15:40 09 May 2008

For starters, that .xls file will have to be converted to something more usable, namely .csv or equivalent. Do that in Excel.

Then either [a] learn how to build a MySQL database click here and add a PHP search engine click here, [b] employ a professional or [c] invest in decent software. You make no reference to software other than Excel, so I will assume that you are coding it all yourself. Have you searched for "php search engine" and studied the scripts that are available?

thegreypanther 19:31 09 May 2008

Many thanks, Kemistri.
I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver for the basic website design, and I believe that Dreamweaver includes use of PHP coding (I'll hold up my hands and admit that I haven't read the instruction manuals from cover to cover!).
My biggest concern is that the website host, - I use 1 and 1 Internet, don't support MySQL at the cheaper levels.
I'm in no position at all to employ a professional. I'm retired, and whatever comes about has to be through my own efforts.
However, I shall gladly look at the two refernces you have given me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017