Limtied or no connectivity - WHAT THAT???

Not a Scooby 13:06 28 Jun 2005

Help,

I have broadband and have recently been upgrade by NTL to 2mb. I don't think that has anything to do with the problem but thought it might be worth mentioning.

The problem is that within the last 2 weeks i have started having problems. When I turn on I get a message saying I have 'Limited or no connectivity' so cannot access the internet. the computer is asigning a 169 IP address but won't repair it - it says try speaking to your internet provider.

I did speak to them and the guy told me he ran a test and it wasn't the cable, it was my PC. He got me to go to run and type 'CMD', and then type in a command which I can't remember all of -it contained 'Catalog Reset'.

Anyway that seemed to work but now it's playing up again.

The NTL guy said it's a window's XP issue so if it persists I have to get it fixed. Is this correct? Can anyone help me here.

I run a P4 3.06GHZ on XP with SP2 installed. Had that installed ages ago with no problems at the time. Don't really want to have to totally re-install my PC if I can avoid it.

Graham ® 13:32 28 Jun 2005

Is this it click here?

Not a Scooby 13:56 28 Jun 2005

Sounds like it might be. i'll give it a go. I have downloaded the progrma to disk to take home. naything else I should know aobut it. i have read through and will follow the instructions.

I don't think the command line I put in before from the NTL guy was the same as any of this, but similar. I did remove some spyware recently, which might be related to the problem I guess.

Graham ® 14:39 28 Jun 2005

Only other suggestions would be System Restore to before the troubles, or System File Checker - Run command 'sfc /scannow'

Not a Scooby 16:30 28 Jun 2005

Tried a system restore but no success. Also did a surface scan and no issues found.

Thanks for all the help - if anyone else has any idea let me know. I'll try WinSock fix tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?