Limiting sharing rights across a network

Evolution 13:49 18 Jun 2003

Hi,

I have set up a standalone PC on an NT network which is going to be used to hold backup copies of all of our managers My Document folders.

"Karen's Replicator" software has been set up to schedule the backups daily from the local machines to the standalone PC. This works perfectly.

It is important that other managers / staff cannot access, across the network, folders that do not belong to them across the network. They should only be able to access their own and I have tried to set this up but it isn't working.

On the Backup PC, D drive is being shared. A main "BACKUPS" folder has been created (currently shared with permission for everyone for full control access) and within this, a folder created for each manager (shared with permission set at full control for the individual user only)

However, I am still able to view the contents of any folder from any machine on the network.

Any ideas how this can be setup so that only the owner of the backed up folder can access it through sharing?

Many thanks,

Evolution

recap 17:10 18 Jun 2003

Right click the share and select properties. Open the Share Permissions tab (by default "Everybody" is selected) you have the choice of removing them or altering their permissions, you can also "Add" individuals/groups. Click on the Security tab as with the "Share permissions" you can do the same, add/remove and alter their permissions.

recap 17:12 18 Jun 2003

Also in addition to the above, you can "Hide" the share. This is done by placinga $ sign after the name of the share e.g. share name: Account$.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone