limiting internet use for children

harry o 11:46 17 Jul 2005

does any one no of a program what will limit internet use i dont want to stop the kids alltogether but limit the time they use it

Chris the Ancient 12:16 17 Jul 2005

It depends on how 'savvy' they are.

I have a home network, and if I ever needed to limit a computer access to the internet to specific times, I can program my router to do that. And my router can be password protected.

That would be a hardware solution - if they aren't to techie minded.

CtA

Belatucadrus 12:20 17 Jul 2005

click here according to the manual you can set daily time limits.

AndySD 12:25 17 Jul 2005

click here net nanny oerhaps.

€dstowe 13:41 17 Jul 2005

Remember that children are much more computer savvie than you are. You should also note that one of the main subjects of playground conversation is how to over-ride these time limiter/nanny/other blocking programs put on a computer by concerned parents.

Far better for you to instill sensible use into the child than to put bans there. A ban in almost everyone's eyes is something to be broken.

Belatucadrus 17:12 17 Jul 2005

" Remember that children are much more computer savvie than you are."

Having recently been a mature student on HNC & HND computing courses I think that's too much of a generalisation. Some kids are amazingly computer savvie, however a remarkable number aren't. Perhaps these nannie control programs should be thought of as teaching aids, if they want to circumvent them they'll have to learn something in order to do it, and perhaps you also can learn something new in the PC knowledge arms race.

pj123 17:21 17 Jul 2005

The only way I know is to have the computer in a communal area (lounge?) and then tell everyone they have (half an hour, 1 hour, 2 hours) etc and time them.

harry o 17:22 17 Jul 2005

many thanks to every one

€dstowe 17:46 17 Jul 2005

My meaning was that children interested in computers - and the Internet - are more savvie, not as a generalisation of all children.

I use Photoshop and PSP on a professional basis yet my two nieces (12 and 7) know things about both programs that I have no idea about. That is the sort of thing I meant.

harry o 17:07 18 Jul 2005

thanks to all good replys have decided what to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?