limited use of PC

Madpad_001 11:30 14 May 2006

I have a home PC which runs win XP Home. I want to let my children use it but would like to disable some drives (DVD & floppy) as well as only letting them use a few programs. is it possible to configure the pc to do this or do I need to buy some extra sofware?

Along the same lines would it also be possible to disable the right click feature??

PS. I am away till next weekend but will answer any questions/ comments when I get back many thanks Madpad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:45 14 May 2006

Yes this can be done with XP professional but not with XP home.

However if you set up a "limited account" for your children this stops them from installing programs but does not stop the floppy or DVD drives, as most program seem to require DVD use this is nit a good idea to disable the DVD drive.

Parental Control programs are available to limit internet usage and time. You cannot stop them getting at everything that is out there, The trick is to teach them what is acceptable and what is not.

Child safe Internet control :-
Iprotectyou click here
Weblocker click here
Parental Filter click here

You could also lock or ewncrypt folder on the machine to stop them from deleteing certain files.

Encryptors / Security:-
AxCrypt click here
Easycrypto deluxe click here
Powercrypt 2000 click here
Hide Folders click here
Folderlock click here
CD/DVD Lock click here
Hide Files & Folders click here

Madpad_001 09:51 20 May 2006

Thanks

Last question how do you set it up in xp Pro??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 20 May 2006

Choose the program you require i.e. Iprotectyou, click on the blue link (click here) that will take you to the makers web page follow the instructions to download the software.

Once downloaded click on the file and follow any instructions to install the program.

Belatucadrus 10:10 20 May 2006

click here for a freebie that may be worth a look.

Madpad_001 19:22 20 May 2006

Thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?