'Limited or No Connectivity' on Vista

Todd J 19:06 25 Dec 2008

Ok, my sister has a new computer with Vista in her room, i set it up and bought a wireless adapter (NetGear WG111T 2.0). So i installed the adapter, got linked up to the network thats hosted by my computer, which is downstairs. When i go onto network status (on my sisters computer) its sending bytes, but not receiving, ive checked the firewall settings, all fine. Ive turned the firewall off both computers to see if that makes any difference, but nothing.

If it helps, theres an old laptop that gets a connection all round the house, so im putting aside the idea thats theres a problem with the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Todd J.

ambra4 00:01 26 Dec 2008

See if this will help

Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in all computers both on the Lan card and

wireless card, as it can cause connectivity problem on your network

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Todd J 00:03 26 Dec 2008

Thanks for you reply but im not that good with networking,

IPv4? IPv6?

Any chance you can break it down? :)

Thanks, Todd J.

ambra4 04:07 26 Dec 2008

This might explain the difference between IP4 and IP6, which should start in about 2 years tine

to be used

Sample of an IP4 address 192.168.0.1

Sample of an IP6 address 200:0630:0200:8100:02C0:4FFF:FE68:12CB

Internet Protocol version 4 is the fourth iteration of the Internet Protocol (IP) and it is the first

version of the protocol to be widely deployed.

IPv4 is the dominant network layer protocol on the Internet and when ignoring its successor —

IPv6 — it is the only protocol used on the Internet.

IPv4 is a data-oriented protocol to be used on a packet switched Internet work (e.g., Ethernet).

It is a best effort protocol in that it doesn’t guarantee delivery.

It doesn’t make any guarantees on the correctness of the data; it may result in duplicated packets

and/or packets out-of-order.

All of these things are addressed by an upper layer protocol (e.g., TCP, UDP).

The entire purpose of IP is to provide unique global computer addressing to ensure that two

Computers over the Internet can uniquely identify one another.

IPv6 is the next generation Internet protocol.

Most of today’s Internet uses IPv4, which is now nearly twenty years old.

IPv4 has been remarkably resilient in spite of its age, but it is beginning to have problems.

Most importantly, there is a growing shortage of IPv4 addresses, which are needed by all new

machines added to the Internet.

IPv6 fixes a number of problems in IPv4, such as the limited number of available IPv4 addresses.

It also adds many improvements to IPv4 in areas such as routing and network auto configuration.

IPv6 is expected to gradually replace IPv4, with the two co-existing for a number of years during

a transition period.

The main improvement brought by IPv6 is the increase in the number of addresses available for

networked devices, allowing, for example, each cell phone and mobile electronic device to have

its own address.

IPv4 supports 4.3×109 (4.3 billion) addresses, which are inadequate for giving even one address

to every living person, much less support the burgeoning emerging market for connective

devices.

IPv6 supports 3.4×1038 addresses, or 5×1028(50 octillion) for each of the roughly 6.5 billion

people alive today, or about 800 addresses for each gram of matter in the Earth.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?