Limited or no connectivity

Blubottle 10:45 09 Mar 2010

On occasions I cannot connect to the net and the term "limited or no connectivity" is displayed when I click onto the sys tray icon on my pc, windows reports that it cannot repair it because it could not renew the IP address and that I should contact the network administrator. Rebooting does not solve the problem, but disconnecting my Netgear 834G router waiting a couple of mins then reconnecting seems to sort it.Why is this ?
I am using a dual boot pc with this netgear router with the wireless disabled ethernet cable only.

System :- home built, with dual HDD's dual boot, with XP home on primary and win 7 on slave.

chub_tor 10:54 09 Mar 2010

I had similar problems but found that updating the firmware significantly reduced it. Take a look at the Netgear problem pages click here and check for which version you have and update your firmware. click here

retep888 11:08 09 Mar 2010

First of all,check the condition of your ethernet cable and make sure it's connected securely.

Secondly if it doesn't help then try moving it to a different port on the router.

Lastly you can update the router's firmware from Netgear click here choose your router version and click the model number then go to Downloads.

Newuser4165 11:17 09 Mar 2010

Try switching the router off for about 2 minutes - then turn it back on.

SJM_81 13:19 09 Mar 2010

When you get the "limited to no connectivity" it means that your PC tried to get a ip address but failed so windows gave you a 169 address which means you can connect to a network but not the Internet.

When you have your computer set up to obtain a IP address, it sends out a request to a server called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (dhcp) and the dhcp sends you a dynamic ip address with other addresses such as domain name service (dns) etc.

The problem you are having is that your computer is sending out a request to obtain a ip, but the dhcp server isn't assigning you an address hence windows giving you a 169 address when it need a 192 address to connect to the web.

Can you copy and paste this command here please before we go through what can be causing the dhcp to fail. Theres a few settings you may need to configure but first it helps if you got to -

- start> run> type cmd click ok> type ipconfig/all press enter.

Then copy & paste the results here

Thanks.

Blubottle 13:30 09 Mar 2010

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian harrison>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toybox
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-2A-BA-37-3E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 March 2010 10:47:16
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 March 2010 10:47:16

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian harrison>

SJM_81 13:43 09 Mar 2010

That looks fine to me. How often do you have problems? I see the lease time is set to 3 days. Do you have this problem every three days or is it more random do you think?

Blubottle 13:47 09 Mar 2010

The problem is more random. that's what's annoying.

SJM_81 13:48 09 Mar 2010

PS I'm thinking when the lease time is up (every three days) the computer request a new ip but doesn't connect to the dhcp. So you turn of router back on again and it finds the dhcp server.

I think dhcp might not be enabled on your router, but it can still connect automatically on reboot.

To check dhcp is enabled on your router you will have to configure router settings, do you know how to do that?

SJM_81 13:50 09 Mar 2010

Sorry never saw your last post. Give me 5 minutes and I will give a few possible solutions.

SJM_81 14:00 09 Mar 2010

The dhcp says enabled so either you have a Dodge router or something is faulty in registry key, so I would try this first.

click here

You could also try putting this question in the network section as there is a pro that frequents that message board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017