Limited or No Connectivity

HG35 16:40 24 Jan 2009

Hi folks,

I'm pulling my hair out now with this. I blew my motherboard last week, installed a new one and loaded all the correct drivers. Now when I try and connect my BT hime hub, I get the message: Limited or NO connectivity - the hub is fine as I am in another room using the laptop on the wireless. The desktop is connected to the hub via ethernet cable, I tried USB cable and same message came up - i now have a new home hub from BT and the exact same message.

I have no idea where to turn to - any help and advice will be very much appreciated

Cheers,

HG

mgmcc 17:04 24 Jan 2009

You could try giving the Desktop PC a fixed IP address in the same Subnet as the Router (Home Hub). I believe the Home Hub has an IP address of either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 so, assuming you're running Windows XP:

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

In the box that opens, select "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address - 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.1.254 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.1.254 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

If you are unsure what the Router's IP address is then, in the computer that does connect, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will display details of all network adapters in the computer. Look for the "Default Gateway" address, which will be the Router's IP address.

To revert to automatic addressing, set BOTH the IP and DNS sections to get their addresses automatically.

HG35 18:14 24 Jan 2009

mgmcc - I've done all that and I now get a connected on the network. When I try and connect to the net, I get The page cannot be displayed
It's still not connecting to the net - I now think it may be the onboard eternet card that is buggered, i'll try and get one of these tomorrow and see if it makes any difference

Cheers,

HG

HG35 10:28 25 Jan 2009

mgmcc - I've purchased a new ethernet card this morning, and I get the same message.

About 5 mins ago, I get a blue screen saying windows has experienced a serious error and I just have to switch it off - its sending more packets whilst aquiring network address, but then it comes back to Limited or No Connectivity - I've spoken to BT helpdesk who went through loads of options, I cant really recall them all as it was exceptionally difficult to undertstand the person that was trying to help me.

BT have sent me a new Homehub 1.5, its coming up with the same message

Any further ideas ?

HG

mgmcc 13:28 25 Jan 2009

It may be that the TCP/IP stack or Winsock has been damaged in which case open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK).

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC. (If running both repairs, reboot only after running the second command.)

HG35 13:42 25 Jan 2009

mgmcc,

Fist cmd done exactly what you said, the second came up with the following message:

Unable to reset the winsock catalog
The system cannot find the file specified

I've not yet rebooted the PC, im sat next to it with the laptop

Regards,

HG

HG35 14:25 25 Jan 2009

mgmcc - ive now downloaded a winsock repair tool and this has repaired it.

Ive gone and done the 2 steps above again to ensure, and this time both were succesful.

I am still unable to connect to the net, ive confirmed that all drivers are oresent, nothing in device manager suggests any conflicts with any hardware installed - so im not really any further on. I may have to go and have a beer to chill

HG

mgmcc 16:24 25 Jan 2009

With IP and DNS both set back to getting their addresses automatically, open a Command Prompt window and run:

IPCONFIG /ALL

This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

Trojan 20:25 25 Jan 2009

Hi I did have the same prob some time back but with a different set up,forgive me if this sounds to simple but check your network key is correct if there is one digit wrong you will get limited or no connection,I typed in a 5 instead of s just one digit and you will get limited or no connection. good luck.

HG35 21:00 25 Jan 2009

mgmcc - here is everything on a notepad,apologies I have been out all afternoon
@Trojan - My wireless is good mate, its the wired connection that is no good on the PC.

I have connected the ethernet cable to the laptop and it works fine, there is obviously an issue with the PC

HG

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : reborn
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-64-78-B7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20a:e6ff:fe64:78b7%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RTL8139D PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-06-01-36-50

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

HG35 21:33 25 Jan 2009

Just to add to this - when I buggered the motherboard last week, my neighbour installed a cracked copy of XP (Nemesis) - i'm going to remove this in the morning and put XPback on, I have the COA so should be ok using a copy from somewhere ?

HG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017