Limited file sharing

Skoda11 17:15 04 Feb 2006

I’ve set up a home wireless network with two desktops using XP. For the network I have a Belkin DSL Modem/Router attached to the first PC by cable and a USB Network adaptor for the second PC.
I am able to connect both PC’s to the internet and able gain access to files on the second PC from the first, but am unable to get to files on the first PC from the second.
The printer attached to the first PC is available to use from the second PC.
If I Click START/RUN on the second PC and type \\first\Word I am able access all my Word files on the first PC.

It’s probably something simple causing the problem for someone who knows what their doing. Hope there is someone out there to help – I’ve not much hair left!

keewaa 12:07 05 Feb 2006

At a command prompt type
NET USER GUEST
you should see account active = yes on both machines
if is is no on either type
NET USER GUEST /ACTIVE:YES

keewaa 12:09 05 Feb 2006

Also have you run the network wizard on both machine, and have you disabled all software firewalls. If it's a firwall issue then you need to add each computer's IP to the trusted zone.

Skoda11 17:48 05 Feb 2006

Thanks keewaa for responding.
I had added the IP addresses to both PC's trusted zones.I have run the network wizard many times. Typed NET USER GUEST and got account active on both PC's. Tried disabling both firewalls, but still get the message 'first is not accessible....access denied' when trying to access files from second.
Thanks again, I'll have another session tomorrow.

keewaa 18:28 05 Feb 2006

XP home or XP pro?

Skoda11 10:29 06 Feb 2006

XP home on both.
Have just tried pinging and was successful on both.
Also tried the troubleshooter - but no help.
Using Zone Alarm on first and Kerio firewall on second.
Thanks for your continued interest.

keewaa 12:01 06 Feb 2006

So you can actually access your word files using START RUN \\first\Word
Can you access any other by altering the command to another directory?

Skoda11 16:02 06 Feb 2006

Yes I can access all my shared folders. Also was able access my d drive by typing \\first\d

keewaa 16:47 06 Feb 2006

So, just to clarify, the problem is you can access the file using START RUN but not using Windows Explorer or any other method that you would normally wish to use?

Skoda11 20:38 06 Feb 2006

Yes that is correct.

Skoda11 20:41 06 Feb 2006

I can access second from first, but not first from second in Windows Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?