Limited Connectivity,TCP IP Settings?

prodway 23:22 25 Mar 2008

Hi,

Hope somecan help me here,I have just upgraded from xp to vista and i cant connect to the internet.My provider is Virgin which i have found exellent whilst running in xp.I connect via an ethernet cable from a modem.
After calling Virgin media support i am told my problem is because my IP address starts with the number 169 eg 169.254.252.117 which is causing a limited connectivity.To combat this i was told to change my TCP IP settings,my reply was how do i do that?but he wasnt qualified to tell me and asked me to call a local vendor.
Ok so does anybody have any ideas as to where i can start to change my TCP IP settings?Or do i need a Professional to take a look?I just dont know where to begin so any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

johnnyrocker 23:32 25 Mar 2008

from memory 169 is a wireless config and it would appear your machine is looking for a wireless set up sorry dont know about vista config so cant help any further.

johnny

birdface 00:07 26 Mar 2008

Have you tried turning your Modem of for a minute then turning it back on and leave for 2 minutes before you use it.

irishrapter 00:18 26 Mar 2008

169.254.xx.xx is an automatic private IP address, normally used when the computer cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server (normally a router or modem).

Check that your modem has DHCP enabled and also check your Ethernet connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?