Limited connectivity on 3 routers through coupled cables

ripple214 13:05 05 Feb 2014

Hi guys,

I have a home network setup that has been working for around a year or two now. It consists of one modem(? it's the router with the dsl connection from the ISP), a DLink router attached to it (configured with static IP and gateway of 192.168.1.1), and another NetGear router that is attached to the DLink router (configured also with static IP like the DLink one, but with different IP Ranges so it doesn't overlap with the DLink IPs). The cable that connects the DLink and NetGear routers go through a coupler since there's quite a distance between the two (but nowhere near 100 meters).

Just the other day, said setup stopped working. Mobile wifi connections to the NetGear router suddenly got stuck on "obtaining IP address", and even the attached desktop doesn't gain access to the internet. I tried disconnecting the cable from the DLink router and attached it directly to my desktop and it worked. This made me think it was the router that was the problem, so I bought a new one (Tenda) and set it up with same static IP configuration, and had it replace the old NetGear. Unfortunately, the Tenda router still had the same problem the NetGear had.

So I tried a little bit of trial and error; First, I tried connecting Tenda to DLink using a short ethernet cable -- it worked. Second, I tried connecting Tenda to DLink using the first segment of the long cable (the left side of the coupler) -- it worked. With these two trials, it starts to look like it's the right side of the coupled cable that's the problem. But the weird thing is why the desktop can have access to the internet when attached directly to the said cable.

I hope you guys can help me. I've been stuck with this for a couple of days now. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?