limited availability

Garthyy 11:37 06 Feb 2006

my friend has just installed a netgear dg834gt router and now gets emails no problems but struggles to get web pages. it seems he has to go to options-privacy-advanced and add each website manually. these problems have only started since installing the wireless network. could it be norton systemworks?

recap 11:46 06 Feb 2006

I would check the permissions in both Norton and Windows Firewall. It is really only necessary to have one firewall active at any one time.

keewaa 12:04 06 Feb 2006

AS netgear has a built in firewall disable ALL security for a brief period on the PC, if it now works the answer is yes, if it doesn't work it still doesn't rule out Norton as it needs to be completely uninstalled to completely rule it out.

Try changing the MTU on the router to 1400 first.

Garthyy 12:21 06 Feb 2006

I'll get him to try these and see what happens.

Garthyy 13:01 06 Feb 2006

He can get emails still but very intermittent internet. Cant even locate the router now. Disabling norton doesnt change a thing - any other ideas? I've only just found out he's running win2000

keewaa 13:08 06 Feb 2006

Does it work if plugged in using an ethernet cable instead of wireless?

Try various wireless fixes:
Try different wireless channels
Set SSID to broadcast
Disable all wireless security (WEP/WPA)

Garthyy 13:13 06 Feb 2006

All wireless security is off. ssid is set to broadcast. Going to ask him to try cable, he is disabled and has to wait for someone to help I live 300 miles away so am working fairly blind. please be patient I know he is getting upset.

Garthyy 15:57 06 Feb 2006

he got a tech guy in who told him it was down to explorer dropping site names. New one on me can anyone enlighten me.

keewaa 16:53 06 Feb 2006

Could that be a setting within IE options - security settings ?

Garthyy 17:00 06 Feb 2006

it might be so but I cant see it there. I'll try get more info but not promising anything. Thanks to you all for your help very appreciated

Garthyy 17:03 06 Feb 2006

it might be so but I cant see it there. I'll try get more info but not promising anything. Thanks to you all for your help very appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?