Limit access to PC and internet

allanon 19:38 17 Jan 2009

I am running XP on my main computer and I am considering setting up another machine by homeplug to the LAN which runs the Millenium Edition.I have 2 queries:-

1. Is there anyway I can limit access to the XP machine by way of a password?. As far as I know you simply switch on and you have free access.Is there a way which in effect requires a password?.

2. I am considering upgrading the operating system for the ME machine. Since I am already running XP and because of the bad press vista has received, I am inclined to get XP for this machine. I note that Windows 7 is now out on beta but I am not going that far since it is a very old machine. The computer has a 1.8 ghz CPU and 40 Gb hardrive. The machine will be used for internet browsing and the odd letter , school work etc - nothing too demanding.In addition, is there any software which means that I can limit the internet access to a few chosen sites which I can define?. Any help gratefully received, thanks

mocha 08:53 18 Jan 2009

Hi allanon,

Question 1. click here

allanon 11:35 18 Jan 2009

Mocha, thanks for your response this is exactly what I wanted.

I only need input from someone over my second question.

Thanks again

MAJ 11:56 18 Jan 2009

2. I recommend you go for XP, update it to SP3, that will install IE7 for you. In IE7, go to Tools > Internet Options > Content tab, and have a look at the "Parental Controls" section, it will allow you to restrict internet access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017