Limewire. Getting Caught?

chantelley 15:23 23 May 2007

First i must apologise if this is in the wrong place, am new to the site.
I downloaded some files from limewire earlier, and afterwards, an internet window popped up
WARNING your activity has been logged.
However, also on the page were ads for anti virus products etc. If i have been caught downloading, would it not be a pop up with something relating to my isp?
Anyone else experienced the same?
Thanks

Kate B 15:38 23 May 2007

It's an attempt to scare you into buying AV software - don't fall for it. Or worse, into downloading a nasty. Be careful of Limewire etc - p2p applications are notorious vectors for nastyware. Make sure all your antinastyware - antivirus, A Squared, Spybot, Windows Defender etc - are all up to date and USE them: scan anything you download before running it, including music files.

chantelley 15:42 23 May 2007

Thanks Kate! I thought i was in trouble there lol. Iv never had anything like this so was a bit worried.Think i'll have to invest in a new antivirus.

baldtaco 15:48 23 May 2007

chantelley, hola

A decent first step to keeping the scum at bay is to use a Protowall in addition to your firewall. click here

Totally-braindead 15:59 23 May 2007

What anti virus do you have? Changing it won't stop these sort of messages as its not a virus.

I use AVG free for the viruses and it together with Adaware and Superantispyware for the malware and the free zone alarm firewall is sufficient. You could add another malware program if you want its up to you.

If you do change anti virus do delete the old one before installing the new one or you're asking for trouble. You can only have one antivirus program and one firewall, you can have as many malware programs as you like.

But changing antivirus will not stop this as its not a virus.

p;3 16:31 23 May 2007

you have probably 'got caught' by the stuff that comes WITH these 'programs' that are more often than not designed to mess up your computer ; you need to let us know what protection programs you DO have on there , what windows version you are using and suggest you remove limewire from the comp then get cleaned up::))

chantelley 16:33 23 May 2007

I did have kaspersky, i needed to change it anyway. But it wont let me uninstall it now, it says i have it running when i dont? Not sure what malware is totally braindead?

chantelley 16:35 23 May 2007

im on windows xp and i had kaspersky and the firewall is just the windows one.

p;3 16:39 23 May 2007

for the benefit of those who are trying to help you please list ALL the protection programs you have on there or THINK you have on there

chantelley 16:40 23 May 2007

that is all i have? the kaspersky is for the virus and spyware protection. Is there something im missing?

p;3 16:50 23 May 2007

do you have SP2 installed? and windows system restore enabled?

I strongly suggest you take on board fully update and run full deep scans with this lot

click here

click here

click here

click here

and try an on line scan from

click here

see what they produce for you;;;

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?