Limewire

muffin1947 07:44 31 Mar 2007

Does anyone out there use limewire.I deleted my version in error and am having trouble trying to re-install it.I have been using the free version

Forum Editor 08:27 31 Mar 2007

like Limewire, and for good reason.

Quite apart from the fact that the vast majority of files shared on Peer to peer (P2P) networks are illegal, there are inherent dangers.

1. P2P file-sharing is responsible for huge numbers of computer virus infections.

3. Many of the P2P applications are now installing spyware on your computer as part of the installation process. Applications such as Cydoor, New.net, TopText, SaveNow, Webhancer, and OnFlow are a few of the applications that may serve up ad banners and messages, or track your Internet surfing habits. If you've noticed that you are getting numerous annoying pop-up messages, odds are that you may have a Peer-to-peer file sharing program installed.

3. When you take part in file-sharing you're allowing total strangers to access a folder on your hard drive. This is the kind of thing that is a hacker's dream, and although you might think there's no danger there is - you only have to inadvertantly select the wrong folder as your shared P2P location and you could find that all sorts of people have access to your data files.

Millions of illegal music, video and software files are shared daily, and I'm sure that most people think this is a harmless procedure. For many of them it is, apart from the risk of being caught and prosecuted, but for a substantial minority it leads to massive computer problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?