Lightscribe - or similar

johndrew 11:42 07 Nov 2006

I have been searching for an external DVD burner to label my home DVDs and other storage. The more I look the more confused I get!!!

Have searched I am aware that NEC, Lite-On, BenQ, LaCie, Lg and others all produce burners that will do the job, but I am having difficulty with speed, price, reliability and labelling software. For the latter some use Nero and others use propritry products.

Is there anyone out there who has experience of these types of burners and software that can provide advice or a recommendation. As the product is only for home use I do not require an `industrial` specification but would like something reasonably priced and an easy to operate interface.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Shortstop 11:49 07 Nov 2006

I was looking into a lightscribe unit a while ago and, to be honest, found a lot of the specs very similar.

The two things that put me off - and stopped me buying the writer - was the quality of the final image and the time that the unit took to burn this. I felt that the monochrome effect was not worth the upgrade at this time when compared to printing labels.

Just my opinion.

BR

Paul

xania 12:51 07 Nov 2006

I was also put off when I posted my query about going dual-layer

click here

Stuartli 13:51 07 Nov 2006

I use my Epson R300 to print out text and/or graphics labels on printable surface CD-R/DVD-R and CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW disks.

They cost only a few pence more per 25 spindle than non-printable disks from outlets such as click here and click here

I always use Imation and Infiniti blank disks, which are rebadged Taiyo Yuden media, probably the very best you can get...:-)

johndrew 11:18 08 Nov 2006

Many thanks for your responses people, but at the moment I still intend to go for Lightscribe. Discs have improved as has the technology of the burning process (as far as I can judge) to a point where it looks acceptable to me.

I am still in the market for information/advice.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:50 08 Nov 2006

I have the HP840i super multi burner, does the job in a reasonable time. I am using Nero as burning software and Sure thing 4 SE as labeller.
All the host software and extended contrast lightscribe utility (if you want it)available here as well as Sure thing.
click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:51 08 Nov 2006

You can use Sure thing to print other than lightscribe also.

Catastrophe 13:09 08 Nov 2006

click here

This looks interesting. I bought one for only £2.95 and am looking forward to trying it.

I found the contrast rather slight and this claims to improve it. I have tried Lightscribe and am happy with it.

No - I am NOT the seller!

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:22 08 Nov 2006
  Sparkly 13:28 08 Nov 2006

I have bought this one and is a very reliable and quite drive allso comes with the lightscribe software with nero.
Just a personal opinion hth.
click here

Stuartli 14:09 08 Nov 2006

The Samsung is only £21.55 including VAT at Scan..:-)

click here

Awaiting stock, but I paid £20.93 at Scan two or three weeks ago for the equivalent Sony but without Lightscribe.

This has dropped slightly in price, no doubt due to the excellent price of the Samsung and (perhaps) other models out or due out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?