lightscribe dvd player/writer

conrail 17:51 23 Apr 2014

Hi guys, win7 pc finally giving up the ghost, even after formatting and reinstalling it is so slow, just basic programs on so 1Tb had almost empty, deleting 9 emails took almost 8 minuted to do, have run all security software and new installation so no problems there. so got a new laptop with win 8.1, pc had a lightscibe dvd player/writer, as I have a number of lightscribe discs I would like to keep the drive so need a caddy for it, will a dvd drive caddy do? or will I need something else for the lightscribe option, I have lightscribe software but not sure if the etching laser, (no idea what it is called?) needs to be connected? all help appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 23 Apr 2014

It should work Ok in a caddy provided you have the latest lightscribe software

click here

conrail 18:59 23 Apr 2014

thanks Fruit Bat, I have a set of programs on the pc named lightscribe toolbox, also the setup files in my download folder on the pc, just wanted to make sure that any dvd writer/player caddy will do for the drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 23 Apr 2014

all the caddy does is give you a bridge between the dvd interface (IDE or sata) to USB

The lightscribe software needs to be able to recognise the DVD drive via USB.

The older software wouldn't, the newer software does.

bumpkin 19:57 23 Apr 2014

I have one that works in a caddy with W7, rarely use it though not impressed with Lightscribe.

conrail 20:16 23 Apr 2014

thanks Fruit Bat, I have a set of programs on the pc named lightscribe toolbox, also the setup files in my download folder on the pc, just wanted to make sure that any dvd writer/player caddy will do for the drive also thanks bumpkin, I have a number of discs created with lightscribe, also have a printer than prints directly onto discs,

Ian in Northampton 20:52 23 Apr 2014

bumpkin: I rather like Lightscribe. If the alternative is writing on DVDs in red marker, give me Lightscribe every time... :-)

bumpkin 21:51 23 Apr 2014

Ian, I suppose it is better than a marker pen if the disk is of personal importance. I can't really see the need for it for general software unless you just like a tidy case of brown disks. A colour disk printer I would like but can't justify the cost to myself.

Ian in Northampton 09:25 24 Apr 2014

Lazarus: yep - Lightscribe is pretty much obsolete. I don't think new drives are being made any more. Shame.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?